US$399.95 + $17 s&h
Or 6 monthly payments of only $69.50 |
You can also order over the telephone by calling us at
800-481-6728 or 514-733-6620 (9-5 EST)
We also accept purchase orders from major corporations, universities and government agencies in the U.S. and Canada.
For a more detailed explanation of how to order, click here.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to decode Java source files and make an educated guess about
the purpose of each function. And you will be able to work with Java software developers to create useful
documentation for a Software Development Kit (SDK).
What You Get in this Package
- The entire 1-day workshop captured and professionally-edited down to 3 hours, 40 minutes of video, spanning 2 DVDs
- Convenient, well-organized DVD interface which enables you to view the presentation continously OR jump to any particular slide and associated video clip
- 173 page workbook (extra copies available at a discount), featuring:
- 114 Powerpoint slides keyed to the video
- 5 Exercises
- Glossary of 150 programming terms
- 10-page annotated bibliography of books related to technical communication
- "Getting Started" booklet with training suggestions
- Durable, attractive and convenient storage package
Who Can Benefit from this DVD
Whatever your role, this "workshop-on-a-DVD" offers you and your team all the rich interaction
of a live workshop... with none of the cost and headaches of getting there.
- Technical Writers being asked to document SDKs written in Java
- Writers or consultants wanting to break into the lucrative field of writing SDKs.
- Writers with some previous exposure to computer programming (any language)
- Managers looking to reduce employee training costs, without compromising quality
- Training coordinators seeking useful resources for professional development
What this Workshop Covers
This unique workshop-on-a-DVD covers the complete 1-day presentation,
including these key topics:
A First Look at APIs
Just Enough Background
- What is an API?
- Who is the user of an API?
- How javadoc tells you what you need to know
- Classes and objects, methods and properties
- Buzzword soup: methods, member functions, functions, properties
- The user interface of a Java method
- Documenting that user interface
- Determining a method's name, purpose, parameters and return value
- Our focus: converting source files to documentation
Just Enough Java Syntax
- Programming languages and their origins
- The Java 2 SDK
- Java Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
- Applets and applications
- Origins of C#, .NET and Web services
- Microsoft, Sun and the politics of programming languages
A Little Bit of C#
- Methods (functions)
- Return values
- Private and public
- Bundling classes into packages
- Java interfaces: the how and why
- How Java and C# are very similar
- The differences between Java and C#
- How these differences affect documentation
- Documentation generation programs for the Microsoft universe
Look at All the Benefits
Now you can experience this live workshop...
in the comfort of your own home or office...
using any computer or TV equipped with a DVD player.
Now you can watch and learn at your own convenience... on your own timetable...
and review any material any time in the future, as often as you like.
Now you can avoid the cost of airfare, hotels, restaurants and taxis.
Managers, you can upgrade the skills of your whole team for less than the cost of sending
one person to a conference.
Plus, you can save time and avoid taking days out of your busy schedule
for traveling to a training session.
To sum up, you gain comfort and convenience... stretch your budget... save time...
and have a valuable training asset at your fingertips to use over and over again.
What People Say about this Workshop
"I'm excited by the fact that I can now READ and UNDERSTAND the code I spend most of the time
cutting and pasting!"
"We have so much trouble finding tech writers who can read source files and document APIs!
This course will be really, really good for the other two writers on my team."
"Love the exercises. I find this course is bringing everything together that I've been
trying to learn on my own so far."
"Good tips for extracting important information from code and other sources."
"I have no programming background. Part of my job is to format the docs written by programmers.
After this training, I am going to be able to write the doc by myself."
"Overall, the course was EXCELLENT. I have benefitted ENORMOUSLY
and it will help me TREMENDOUSLY in my work.
I think it has been one of the most useful courses I have taken. Thank you so very much."
Save on Workbooks for Everyone
To get the most from this workshop, we recommend that everyone
viewing these DVDs has their own workbook. Additional workbooks
are available to purchasers of this DVD at a big discount.
Upon completion of the DVD ordering process, your browser will jump to a page where you can order a workbook for everyone on your team at the following discounts:
- 1 to 4 additional copies: US$35 each (that's 30% off!)
- 5+ additional copies: US$25 each (that's 50% off!)
- plus US$3 s&h each
And remember, there's no risk:
if you're not satisfied with this product, you can return it to us for a complete refund.
Buy the bundle|
and save $140
Need to document an
API written in Java?
The Documenting APIs and SDKs: Workshop-on-a-DVD will give you the knowledge and tools to create useful documentation
for a Software Development Kit (SDK).
And, the Just Enough Java: Workshop-on-a-DVD will teach you to understand Java source
files well enough to begin using your new API documentation skills quickly and efficiently.
Together they are an unbeatable combination.
Buy the bundle for
(with free shipping).
and save $140 over
the regular price.
Or 7 monthly payments of only $99
Entire contents © 2004-2016 by Marc Proulx except for portions which are © 1999-2016 by Manuel Gordon & Gordon Graham and are used with permission.
How to Contact Us
Tel: 800-481-6728 or 514-733-6620
|Join our Email List
Join our mailing list to receive our quarterly newsletter
and be notified of fresh content on this website.
Mail: 9-4702 Queen Mary
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3W 1W8